Quick Links

Useful Links

A member of Gatehouse Green Learning Trust

SEND Information Report

Frequently Asked Questions


How does the school know if children need extra help, and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Each pupil's education will be planned, assessed and reviewed regularly by the class teacher.

We know if a child needs extra help if:

Concerns are raised by parent/carer, teacher or child

Limited or slow progress is made

There is a change in the pupil's behaviour or progress


How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child's learning?

Your child's class teacher will be available at the end of each day should you wish to raise a concern, or you can make an appointments for a longer meeting with your class teacher or the SENDCO, Special Educational and Disabilities Co-ordinator Ms Fiona Rowley.

The class teacher will suggest ways you can support your child and will explain how support is being given in school.

You will be able to discuss your child's progress at parents evening.

Class teachers may invite you to attend an IEP meetings. An IEP is an Individual Education Plan and these plans for school and home will be written in consultation with you, your child and the teachers in school.

Ms Rowley may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with a child's behaviour/emotional needs.

If outside agencies have been involved suggestions of support are normally provided that can be used at home or in school.


How will the school staff support my child?

Each pupil's education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil's individual needs. This may include additional support by the teacher or learning support assistant.

If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills etc. then the pupil will may be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by a teacher or learning support assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. These interventions will be recorded on the class provision map (this is a record of interventions). If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENDCO.

Pupil progress is assessed 3 times a year (Oct, Feb, June) and analysed by the senior leadership team and class teacher. These may highlight any potential gaps in progress in order for further support to be planned.

Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the educational psychologist, a speech and language therapist, the children's mental health team CAMHS etc. A referral will be made, with your consent, and forwarded to the most appropriate agency and we will act on their recommendations.

The Governors of Ashton Vale Primary are responsible for entrusting a named person, Ms Fiona Rowley, to monitor safeguarding and child protection procedures for SEND children. In a support and challenge role the governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?

When a pupil has been identified with special educational needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to ensure they can access the curriculum.

Learning support assistants may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1:1 basis or small focus group to target more specific needs.

If a child has been identified as having a special need, they may be given an individual education plan (IEP). Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher and SENDCO. IEPs will be discussed with parents at least three times a year.

If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil, such as a writing slope, a concentration cushion, pen/pencil grips or easy to use scissors.


How is the decision made about the type and how much support my child will receive?

 These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher, SENDCO and senior leadership team. Decisions are based on assessments of pupil progress or as a result of outside agency assessments.

During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to lack of progress or wellbeing then other interventions will be arranged.


How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?

 Activities and school trips are available to all.

Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all children to participate.

If it is deemed that 1:1 support in necessary then a learning support assistant will be allocated.

Transport may be provided on walking trips.


What support will there be for my child's overall well being?

 The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

The class teacher, Learning Mentor, LSA, and SENCO are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate one to one sessions and small group sessions are carried out.

Priority places can be given at breakfast and after school clubs.

A safe place can be nominated should it be required for time out.

The school nurse can support some concerns, such as an eating disorder, anxiety and behaviour.

A referral can be made for expert support, for example, bereavement counselling.


My child has a medical need. What support will there be in school?

 If a child has a medical need then a detailed care plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.

Staff receive medical training where needed such as epilepsy or epi-pen training. This is delivered by the school nurse.

Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school, but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both the child and the staff member.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

 The agencies used by the school include:

The Bristol Autism Team

Speech and Language Therapists

Educational Psychologist

Sensory Support team

Occupational therapy


CAMHS (Child and adolescence mental health team).

Education Welfare

Social Services

School Nurse

Local Authority Special Needs Team


What training have the staff supporting SEND had or what training are they having?

Different members of staff have had different training related to SEND. These have included:

How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum

How to support pupils with emotional needs

How to support pupils with speech and language difficulties

How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs

How to support pupils with learning needs

How to deliver intervention programs

How to support children with medical needs e.g. epilepsy


How accessible is the school both indoors and outdoors?

 As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

Level access to all classrooms and the hall

Toilet suitable for disabled access

Changing table and shower

Wide doors


How are parents involved in the school? How can I get involved?

 This may be through:

Discussions with the class teacher

Parents evenings/IEP review meetings

Discussions with the SENCO or other professionals

Parents are encouraged to comment on their child's IEP with possible suggestions that could be incorporated

Joining the PTFA

Weekly newsletter/website

Governors surgery

GGLT SEND parent drop ins

Attending staff training

Attending parent workshops

How will you prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school setting or to the next stage of education and life?

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil's transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:

Discussions between previous or receiving schools prior to pupil joining/leaving.

All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new teacher.

Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.

Teachers are always happy to meet parents prior to their child starting.

Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them leaving here.

SENDCO liaison between schools.

Secondary schools attend annual reviews in year 6.

EY staff attend annual reviews in the nursery settings.

Home reference book with photos of relevant staff and classroom.


Who can I contact for further information?

  If you wish to discuss your child's educations needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child's special needs please contact the office to arrange a meeting with the SENDCO, Miss Fiona Rowley or email on primary.senco@gglt.co.uk.